For those of us that LOVE jigsaw puzzles, we know that they’re more than just a hobby. The puzzle piece look can also be decorative–and even functional! Check out these great designs in the shape of puzzle pieces for things such as cutting boards, chairs, and more!
1. Puzzleboard cutting boards
2. Puzzle wine rack
3. Puzzle rugs
4. Puzzle benches/end tables
5. Puzzle mirror
6. Puzzle alarm clock… that only shuts off once you correctly arrange the pieces!
7. Puzzle cookie cutter
8. Puzzle storage
We’ve always known that the winter months are the most popular time of year for people to do jigsaw puzzles, and we certainly see a huge increase in people buying puzzles during the holidays, especially Christmas themed jigsaw puzzles. But did you know that Christmas puzzles are instock and ready to ship all year long? In fact, we sell more Christmas puzzles throughout the year than any other theme. And it’s right about now – August and September – that puzzle brands start releasing new holiday designs and we begin stocking up for the holiday season.
So, whether you are just stocking up for the winter — or the snow, twinkle lights, Christmas trees and jolly old St. Nick are just a comfort to puzzle as the late days of summer drag on — know that at Puzzle Warehouse, we’ve got you’re fix of holiday cheer in every piece count, shape, and size you could imagine. Here’s a sampling of great new Christmas Puzzleballs by Ravensburger, and several more best selling holiday puzzles to browse any time of the year.
The Need for Speed – 300 piece jigsaw puzzle. Finished size: 18 x 24.
It was 40 years ago when Erno Rubik, a architecture professor in Budapest, Hungary, put a name to the object he had created – a solid cube that could twist and turn, but didn’t fall apart. The object was not supposed to be possible – and it took him over a month to work out a solution to the puzzle. But As a teacher, he looked at the creation of the Rubik’s Cube as primarily an “object of art, a mobile sculpture symbolizing stark contrasts of the human condition: bewildering problems and triumphant intelligence; simplicity and complexity; stability and dynamism; order and chaos.”
Little did he know it would become the best selling puzzle in the world. And now it has become a national event! The 2014 Rubik’s Cube US National Championships are underway and continue through August 3rd.
Competition categories include Speedsolve, Blindfolded, One Handed, and With Feet. Click here to see the results as they come in.
Over the last 40 years, the Rubik’s Cube has evolved into several different styles and functions. At Puzzle Warehouse, we love to see new, interesting and unique versions of this popular brain teasing puzzle. Here are some of our favorites:
Rubik’s Void Puzzle
Similar to the Rubik’s Cube, the Void Cube Puzzle has one notable difference – the center cubes are missing! The addictive 3x3x3 mechanical puzzle is a multi-dimensional challange that facinates puzzle fans around the world. With “43 Quintillion” possible moves and only “1” solution, even the Rubik’s fan will find new challenge as you try and solve it!
Snake King 4x4x4:
The 4x4x4 King Snake has 64 blocks that make up a 4x4x4 cube when complete. The degree of difficulty climbs through the roof! Oh so tough! If you solve this in under 3 hours without the instructions, we will be quite impressed. (The fastest time to solve we know of is two hours). This King pattern with the checkerboard blocks is very tough even though there are 2 possible solutions, as the cube colors give very little hints as to the correct solution path.
The Blessing, 500 XL pieces, SunsOut. Browse our picnic jigsaw puzzles for inspiration this summer!
It’s summertime, and that means it’s picnic time. Take the family out into the sunshine and nature and pack a yummy, healthy, on-the-go meal! There’s a lot of information out there on what makes the perfect picnic, like safety tips on eating food before bacteria can grow, whether it’s pre-cooked or packed in the cooler to stay fresh. Then there’s the checklist of what essential items you need to bring, and recipes upon recipes of what food you can prepare and bring.
We’ve done you the favor or sifting and sorting through all the information so you can have the perfect picnic!
First, you need to decide what kind of picnic you’re having. Is it on-the-go, where you’ll skip the cooler and the hot foods, or is it part of a larger outdoor potluck or day out?
Whatever it is, you’ll need some essentials:
- Plates, eating and serving utensils, and cups for eating and drinking
- Cutting board, cutting knife, corkscrew for on-site prep
- Napkins for hands, moist toilettes for sticky fingers and faces, napkins for cleaning out dishes before re-packing
- Large and light blanket for easy travelling and to comfortably hold all picnickers and food
- Backpack for stowing all food for easier traveling (it’s easier to carry than a basket)
Cupcake Picnic. 1000 pieces. Layfayette Puzzle Factory.
Next you’ll need to keep in mind how to keep your food safe.
Health and Safety Tips
- Take what you think you will eat to avoid waste
- 2 hour rule: don’t leave perishable foods out longer than 2 hours
- Keep food covered to keep away from bugs carrying germs
- Keep warm/hot foods out of the cooler
- Warm/hot foods should stay at 140 degrees or warmer to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Only prepare these foods if you plan on eating them as soon as you get to your location (within 1 hour), or if you plan to keep them warm on a grill
- Cold food should stay at 40 degrees or cooler–make sure you put cold foods in cold. For instance, don’t buy a brand new jar of mayonnaise and expect it to cool down to the proper temperature in the cooler. Tip: Pre-frozen items will help keep other items cooler
- Fill cooler with ice packs, ice, frozen water bottles just before you leave the house and no sooner
- Transport the cooler in the back seat rather than the trunk, which is the hottest part of the car
- Keep raw and cooked food separate, both in containers in the cooler and on prep plates
- Once you’ve eaten, put the food away as soon as possible instead of leaving it out while you go swimming or do another outdoor activity to ensure everything stays fresh