Today marks the 101st birthday of the late Hollywood star, Lucille Ball. Best known for her role in I Love Lucy, this lovely woman will always be remembered as the clumsy, crazy and lovable Lucy Ricardo.
According to IMDB, the “dizzy sitcom redhead was a show business powerhouse and television pioneer.” Here are some interesting facts about her:
- For many years during their marriage, Lucy and Desi Arnaz hid the fact that she was six years older than he by splitting the difference in their ages. She (born in 1911) said she was born in 1914 and he (born in 1917) also said he was born in 1914.
- She didn’t like any false form of a bird, she preferred to see them in person so she banned all pictures of birds from her house and any hotel room she was staying in.
- She was tutored in comedy by the great Buster Keaton.
- Ball appeared on a 44¢ USA commemorative postage stamp in the Early Television Memories issue with Vivian Vance, as Lucy Ricardo and Ethel Mertz, in a scene from “I Love Lucy: Job Switching (#2.1)” (1952). The stamp was issued 11 August 2009.
- A quote: “In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to come by.”