Previously, the largest jigsaw puzzle in recorded history was made by Educa, called LIFE: The Greatest Puzzle with 24,000 pieces. The puzzle came in four packets, breaking the puzzle art up into four slightly easier to manage sections, which all connect together to create a giant puzzle that is 14 feet long and 5 feet tall. A TRUE puzzle challenge, and certainly not for the faint of heart.
But the folks at Ravensburger wanted to take things up a notch and create a puzzle even larger than LIFE! They have passed up Educa and made Double Retrospect, now the biggest puzzle ever, with 32,256 pieces. This mammoth of a jigsaw puzzle measures an incredible 17 feet x 6 feet!
The art for Ravensburger’s Double Retrospect was created by American Artist Keith Haring (1958-1990). Each of the 32 different images show one of Haring’s quirky illustrations, inspired by the cartooning skills he learned from his father, according to Ravensburger’s website. The puzzle is very colorful and vibrant and each scene will make you smile or chuckle. The limited color palate also makes the puzzle even more challenging because it will be harder to separate the pieces that go in one scene from another.
The puzzle pieces arrive in 8 separate bags inside of a box, and a trolley is also supplied so that you can transport the giant puzzle home. When you open the box, each bag will contain 4,032 pieces – each a sure-fire challenge on their own.
Continue reading this post
How are you celebrating Canada Day?
Over at the Canadian Heritage homepage, there is a post with lots of ideas on how to organize your Celebrate Canada activity. Celebrate Canada is an 11-day celebration which takes place from June 21 – July 1. Are you having a party, BBQ or event to celebrate the biggest national holiday for Canada?
A little history: Canada because a self-governing dominion of Great Britain on July 1, 1867, of four provinces: Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec. The anniversary was previously called Dominion Day until 1983, when July 1st officially became known as Canada Day.
Some interesting tidbits
1) The celebrations in Ottaway are particularly festive with Canada’s national colors splashed everywhere – face painting and red and white is seen around every corner.
2) In Newfoundland and Labrador, July 1st is also Memorial Day. In 1916 on this day, brave Newfoundlanders and Labradorians fought in the Battle of the Somme at Beaumont-Hamel, France – a deadly and devastating part of the First World War. Here is 30 minute video special on the Canadian Memorial Day History.
3) July 1st is also traditionally Moving Day in Quebec- marking the start and end of many annual leases on rental properties. You’ll often see people moving on this day – a headache for commercial moving companies I’m sure.
Jigsaw Puzzles: Canada
Here is a gallery of some of the puzzles we have featuring scenic images from Canada, Map puzzles for kids, and the Canadian Flag images.
Links to above puzzles to purchase or see more details:
1. Kid’s Map of Canada, 300 pieces by Cobble Hill 2. 4D Cityscape Toronto – 1000+ pieces 3. Canada Map Floor Puzzle by Melissa and Doug 4. Moraine Lake 1500 piece puzzle by Clementoni 5. Canadian Flag 1000 piece puzzle by Buffalo Games 6. Canadian Geese puzzle by Cobble Hill 7. USA and Canada Puzzle Pouch by GeoToys 8. Toronto Panoramic Puzzle 9. Dowdle Folk Art 500 pc Puzzle – Vancouver
We will be giving away TWO of these 500 piece shaped puzzles in the next two weeks. To enter, post a comment in the reply box below about one of your favorite Disney characters – and tell us why!
Two winners will be picked in July. Make sure to use a valid email address – that is how we will contact you if you won! Posting a reply below does not sign you up for anything, it just registers you for this drawing.
What you’ll win? This Mickey Mouse shaped puzzle is recommended for ages 10 and up, with 500 unique shaped pieces that form a complete puzzle in the shape of Mickey Mouse himself! A great family activity and one that will be fun to do over and over. This puzzle is discontinued from MEGA, so these are the last two puzzles of its kind in stock here at Puzzle Warehouse.
While you’re reading – please check out the rest of our blog, featuring great articles related to the love of puzzles.
Update: Both winners have been selected for this giveaway – Congratulations to Shannon and Jodi! Keep your eye out for the next giveaway opportunity – coming soon!
Thomas Barbey is a photography artist inspired by travel and everyday life, as well as the surrealism nature of artists such as M.C. Escher and Roger Dean. Barbey creates montages from concept to finish using negative, double exposure and retouching. His entire gallery of work can be seen on his website, Thomas Barbey Gallery.
We are introducing a new line for Puzzle Warehouse, the Barbey Black and White Photo Art Puzzle Series, with much excitement! These beautiful black and white works of art are sure to make an interesting and challenging puzzle experience. See the photos below, or take a look at all the new 1000 piece puzzles in our selection over at our website.
This collection, along with our other new puzzles by Lion Rampant Imports, are sure to be hit for the avid puzzlers.
Every wondered what do with that old puzzle that is missing a few pieces or thought about craft ideas using jigsaw puzzle pieces? Over on our Pinterest Profile, we have found dozens of really cool jigsaw puzzle related products or puzzle craft ideas that we wanted to share. Here are a few of our favorites.
Click on the thumbnails below to see larger images, and follow the links below to go to the original source.
1. Puzzle Shaped Silcone Cake Mold 2. Missing Piece Coffee Mug 3. Puzzle Rug 4. Puzzle Piece Cookie Cutter 5. Puzzle Piece Craft Ideas 6. Puzzle Piece Magnets 7. Puzzle Necklaces 8. Puzzle Stool 9. Autism Awareness Puzzle Piece Craft Mold 10. 3D Puzzle Drawers 11. Kid’s Puzzle Bookshelf 12. Jigsaw Mirror