It was 40 years ago when Erno Rubik, a architecture professor in Budapest, Hungary, put a name to the object he had created – a solid cube that could twist and turn, but didn’t fall apart. The object was not supposed to be possible – and it took him over a month to work out a solution to the puzzle. But As a teacher, he looked at the creation of the Rubik’s Cube as primarily an “object of art, a mobile sculpture symbolizing stark contrasts of the human condition: bewildering problems and triumphant intelligence; simplicity and complexity; stability and dynamism; order and chaos.”
Little did he know it would become the best selling puzzle in the world. And now it has become a national event! The 2014 Rubik’s Cube US National Championships are underway and continue through August 3rd.
Competition categories include Speedsolve, Blindfolded, One Handed, and With Feet. Click here to see the results as they come in.
Over the last 40 years, the Rubik’s Cube has evolved into several different styles and functions. At Puzzle Warehouse, we love to see new, interesting and unique versions of this popular brain teasing puzzle. Here are some of our favorites:
Rubik’s Void Puzzle
Similar to the Rubik’s Cube, the Void Cube Puzzle has one notable difference – the center cubes are missing! The addictive 3x3x3 mechanical puzzle is a multi-dimensional challange that facinates puzzle fans around the world. With “43 Quintillion” possible moves and only “1″ solution, even the Rubik’s fan will find new challenge as you try and solve it!
Snake King 4x4x4:
The 4x4x4 King Snake has 64 blocks that make up a 4x4x4 cube when complete. The degree of difficulty climbs through the roof! Oh so tough! If you solve this in under 3 hours without the instructions, we will be quite impressed. (The fastest time to solve we know of is two hours). This King pattern with the checkerboard blocks is very tough even though there are 2 possible solutions, as the cube colors give very little hints as to the correct solution path.
The Blessing, 500 XL pieces, SunsOut. Browse our picnic jigsaw puzzles for inspiration this summer!
It’s summertime, and that means it’s picnic time. Take the family out into the sunshine and nature and pack a yummy, healthy, on-the-go meal! There’s a lot of information out there on what makes the perfect picnic, like safety tips on eating food before bacteria can grow, whether it’s pre-cooked or packed in the cooler to stay fresh. Then there’s the checklist of what essential items you need to bring, and recipes upon recipes of what food you can prepare and bring.
We’ve done you the favor or sifting and sorting through all the information so you can have the perfect picnic!
First, you need to decide what kind of picnic you’re having. Is it on-the-go, where you’ll skip the cooler and the hot foods, or is it part of a larger outdoor potluck or day out?
Whatever it is, you’ll need some essentials:
- Plates, eating and serving utensils, and cups for eating and drinking
- Cutting board, cutting knife, corkscrew for on-site prep
- Napkins for hands, moist toilettes for sticky fingers and faces, napkins for cleaning out dishes before re-packing
- Large and light blanket for easy travelling and to comfortably hold all picnickers and food
- Backpack for stowing all food for easier traveling (it’s easier to carry than a basket)
Cupcake Picnic. 1000 pieces. Layfayette Puzzle Factory.
Next you’ll need to keep in mind how to keep your food safe.
Health and Safety Tips
- Take what you think you will eat to avoid waste
- 2 hour rule: don’t leave perishable foods out longer than 2 hours
- Keep food covered to keep away from bugs carrying germs
- Keep warm/hot foods out of the cooler
- Warm/hot foods should stay at 140 degrees or warmer to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. Only prepare these foods if you plan on eating them as soon as you get to your location (within 1 hour), or if you plan to keep them warm on a grill
- Cold food should stay at 40 degrees or cooler–make sure you put cold foods in cold. For instance, don’t buy a brand new jar of mayonnaise and expect it to cool down to the proper temperature in the cooler. Tip: Pre-frozen items will help keep other items cooler
- Fill cooler with ice packs, ice, frozen water bottles just before you leave the house and no sooner
- Transport the cooler in the back seat rather than the trunk, which is the hottest part of the car
- Keep raw and cooked food separate, both in containers in the cooler and on prep plates
- Once you’ve eaten, put the food away as soon as possible instead of leaving it out while you go swimming or do another outdoor activity to ensure everything stays fresh
Offers valid online only on Friday, December 6th through Sunday, December 8th. Cannot be combined with any other discount. No coupon code needed, prices are already reduced. Online promotions not available in-store.
Order in time for Christmas delivery and save big this weekend on PuzzleWarehouse.com. Having trouble finding the perfect gift for everyone on your list? Not to worry, we have hand selected our most popular items and sorted by piece count, theme, and age in our Holiday Shopping Guide.
Please send us an email, or call us at (866) 539-4258 if there is ever anything we can do to make Puzzle Warehouse even better.
The month of December is perhaps one of the busiest puzzling months of the year. As the snow starts to fall, and bundling up in front of the fireplace sounds a lot better than frolicking outside, a jigsaw puzzle is a great way to enjoy indoor time with family and friends. A puzzle also makes the perfect gift for the holidays. There are so many different types of puzzles out there, making it easy to find the perfect difficulty level or theme for anyone.
Besides shopping for puzzles by the number of pieces it has, or by the image itself, it’s also important to consider the age recommendation, the brand, and the cost. At Puzzle Warehouse, we’ve made it easy to find a gift that fits perfects for everyone on your list, by offering a Holiday Gift Guide that includes:
- Stocking Stuffers
- Gifts Under $10
- Gifts by Age
- Gifts by Theme
- Gifts for Kids
- Popular Games
- Brain Teaser Level 1-6
Click here to go directly to our Holiday Gift Guide and start shopping for your kids, family and loved ones.
Next to finding the perfect present, it’s also important to make sure it gets there on time! Whether you are ordering puzzles and shipping to yourself, or shipping directly to your gift recipient, make sure you have plenty of time by looking at our Last Days to Ship Schedule below. And stay tuned… we will have special promotions running as we get closer to these dates.